Streaming Masters – Destiny’s Child
On top of their classics like Say My Name and Survivor, Destiny’s Child have also been enjoying great streaming boosts thanks to TikTok and the likes.
In 2021, Bills, Bills, Bills made Spotify charts in main markets, including the US and the UK. Was it enough to become their biggest hit online?
Destiny’s Child streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
– Arabic world: Anghami streams
– Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
– Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
Destiny’s Child streaming review – the results
Total: 3,403,845 EAS
Destiny’s Child most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Say My Name [The Writing’s on the Wall] – 758,000
2. Survivor [Survivor] – 435,000
3. Jumpin’, Jumpin’ [The Writing’s on the Wall] – 256,000
4. Bills, Bills, Bills [The Writing’s on the Wall] – 253,000
5. Independent Women Part I [Survivor] – 238,000
6. Bootylicious [Survivor] – 229,000
7. Soldier [Destiny Fulfilled] – 198,000
8. Lose My Breath [Destiny Fulfilled] – 159,000
9. Cater 2 U [Destiny Fulfilled] – 149,000
10. Girl [Destiny Fulfilled] – 96,000
11. Emotion [Survivor] – 89,000
12. 8 Days of Christmas [8 Days of Christmas] – 85,000
13. Brown Eyes [Survivor] – 73,000
14. No, No, No [Destiny’s Child] – 44,000
15. Bug a Boo [The Writing’s on the Wall] – 40,000
16. If [Destiny Fulfilled] – 22,000
17. So Good [The Writing’s on the Wall] – 21,000
18. Dangerously in Love (DC) [Survivor] – 19,000
19. Stand Up for Love [Orphan (Destiny’s Child)] – 17,000
20. Nasty Girl [Survivor] – 15,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA (app), QQ, Genie, Anghami, Audiomack, Boomplay.
You may be interested in…
… Destiny’s Child‘s full CSPC analysis
It’s crazy how forgotten their first album really is. Even when smashing afterwards, it never translated into some more demand for the debut.
It didn’t sold much at the time though (#67 peak in the US), what people forgot is the lead single from that album which is actually their best selling single by far (No, No, No) and now their 14th most streamed song !