Streaming Masters – The Weeknd
Since 2015, Canadian singer The Weeknd is one of the leading forces of streaming platforms.
Now that this market dominates the industry, the artist has been smashing global charts thanks to hits like Blinding Lights and Save Your Tears. We review the streaming numbers of all his songs.
The Weeknd streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
– Arabic world: Anghami streams
– Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
– Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
The Weeknd streaming review – the results
Total: 42,811,367 EAS
Want uptodate data? Access updated numbers everyday right here!
The Weeknd most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Blinding Lights [After Hours] – 3,848,000
2. Starboy [Starboy] – 2,562,000
3. Save Your Tears [After Hours] – 2,378,000
4. The Hills [Beauty Behind the Madness] – 2,152,000
5. Can’t Feel My Face [Beauty Behind the Madness] – 1,837,000
6. I Feel It Coming [Starboy] – 1,646,000
7. Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey) [Beauty Behind the Madness] – 1,484,000
8. Call Out My Name [My Dear Melancholy] – 1,269,000
9. Often [Beauty Behind the Madness] – 1,016,000
10. In Your Eyes [After Hours] – 969,000
11. Die for You [Starboy] – 891,000
12. Love Me Harder [Orphan] – 868,000
13. Pray for Me [Orphan] – 694,000
14. Heartless [After Hours] – 630,000
15. In the Night [Beauty Behind the Madness] – 615,000
16. Reminder [Starboy] – 582,000
17. You Right [Orphan] – 550,000
18. Party Monster [Starboy] – 509,000
19. Wicked Games [House of Balloons] – 495,000
20. Take My Breath [Dawn FM] – 490,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA (app), QQ, Genie, Anghami, Audiomack, Boomplay.
You may be interested in…
… The Weeknd‘s full CSPC analysis