Streaming Masters – Depeche Mode
From breaking over the main audience in 1981 with synth-pop classic Just Can’t Get Enough to challenging Lana Del Rey‘s new offering on her first week in 2023, Depeche Mode have been busy creating themselves one hell of a career.
Incredibly enough, their total number of top 3 hits in both the UK and the US remains blocked at… zero. Yet, they claim over 13 million monthly listeners on Spotify. We review all their streaming statistics to see how successful they really are.
Depeche Mode streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan: AWA streams * 100 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Arabic world: Anghami streams
– Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
– Elsewhere: Spotify streams * Spotify market shares based on artists’ market distribution
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * ArtistRatio + Genie * 2.20 + AWA * 100 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
Depeche Mode streaming review – the results
Total: 4,642,000 EAS
Want uptodate data? Access updated numbers everyday right here!
Depeche Mode : Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Enjoy the Silence [Violator] – 860,000
2. Personal Jesus [Violator] – 496,000
3. Just Can’t Get Enough [Speak & Spell] – 426,000
4. Never Let Me Down Again [Music for the Masses] – 172,000
5. Policy of Truth [Violator] – 150,000
6. Precious [Playing the Angel] – 150,000
7. Strangelove [Music for the Masses] – 149,000
8. It’s No Good [Ultra] – 109,000
9. Everything Counts [Construction Time Again] – 100,000
10. People Are People [Some Great Reward] – 86,000
11. Walking in My Shoes [Songs of Faith and Devotion] – 69,000
12. World in My Eyes [Violator] – 63,000
13. Shake the Disease [Black Celebration] – 63,000
14. Behind the Wheel [Music for the Masses] – 62,000
15. Wrong [Sounds of the Universe] – 59,000
16. I Feel You [Songs of Faith and Devotion] – 49,000
17. Ghosts Again [Memento Mori] – 49,000
18. Stripped [Black Celebration] – 48,000
19. Heaven [Delta Machine] – 39,000
20. Home [Ultra] – 37,000
You may be interested in…
… Depeche Mode‘s full CSPC analysis