Streaming Masters – Arctic Monkeys
Up to 7 albums and 16 years of career, the Arctic Monkeys are still able to shift over 100,000 units in their first week in the UK.
Their homeland is only a small piece of the global streaming jigsaw yet. How do they perform on streaming platforms?
Arctic Monkeys streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
We have added more sources to factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries. Indeed, these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, we have used the sources below along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
- South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
- Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
- Arabic world: Anghami streams
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
- Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
- China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
- Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
Arctic Monkeys streaming review – the results
Total: 13,716,790 EAS
Want uptodate data? Access updated numbers everyday right here!
Arctic Monkeys most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Do I Wanna Know? [AM] – 1,906,000
2. Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High? [AM] – 1,131,000
3. 505 [Favourite Worst Nightmare] – 981,000
4. R U Mine? [AM] – 856,000
5. I Wanna Be Yours [AM] – 757,000
6. Fluorescent Adolescent [Favourite Worst Nightmare] – 665,000
7. Arabella [AM] – 461,000
8. Snap Out of It [AM] – 405,000
9. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor [Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not] – 384,000
10. When the Sun Goes Down [Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not] – 364,000
You may be interested in…
… our full CSPC analysis of Arctic Monkeys‘ success.