One of the most successful prog rock groups of all-time, we tend to resume Genesis too loosely as Phil Collins‘ former band, overlooking their own strength.
We went through multiple audio and video streaming platforms to analyze how popular their catalog remain, and which songs lead the way among their catalog hits.
Updated on May 27, 2022
Genesis streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
– Arabic world: Anghami streams
– Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
– Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
Genesis streaming review – the results
Total: 1,390,144 EAS
Genesis most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Invisible Touch [Invisible Touch] – 178,000
2. I Can’t Dance [We Can’t Dance] – 125,000
3. That’s All [Genesis] – 115,000
4. Land of Confusion [Invisible Touch] – 112,000
5. Follow You Follow Me […And Then There Were Three…] – 79,000
6. Jesus He Knows Me [We Can’t Dance] – 66,000
7. Mama [Genesis] – 52,000
8. In Too Deep [Invisible Touch] – 47,000
9. Hold on My Heart [We Can’t Dance] – 38,000
10. Turn It On Again [Duke] – 31,000
11. No Son of Mine [We Can’t Dance] – 29,000
12. Throwing It All Away [Invisible Touch] – 26,000
13. Firth of Fifth [Selling England by the Pound] – 24,000
14. Home by the Sea [Genesis] – 23,000
15. Carpet Crawlers [The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway] – 22,000
16. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight [Invisible Touch] – 19,000
17. Misunderstanding [Duke] – 18,000
18. Abacab [Abacab] – 18,000
19. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) [Selling England by the Pound] – 17,000
20. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight [Selling England by the Pound] – 14,000