Streaming Masters – Backstreet Boys
Among all the boys bands of the late 90s, The Backstreet Boys are the one with the biggest sales, as shown by the fantastic results of their 3 first albums. Backstreet Boys is the 5th top seller from 1996, Backstreet’s Back is 4th of 1997 and Millennium 3rd of 1999.
Are they still remembered and listened to today? Let’s have a look with their streaming numbers!
PS: Updated on April 2, 2022. These values are used for the automatic updates of artists and albums total instead of former ones from CSPC analysis.
Backstreet Boys streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
Video Streams– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Backstreet Boys streaming review – the results
Total: 4,346,865 EAS
Want uptodate data? Access updated numbers everyday right here!
Backstreet Boys : Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. I Want It That Way [Millennium] – 1,052,000
2. Everybody (Backstreet’s Back) [Backstreet’s Back] – 512,000
3. As Long as You Love Me [Backstreet’s Back] – 314,000
4. Shape of My Heart [Black & Blue] – 263,000
5. Quit Playin’ Games (with My Heart) [Backstreet Boys] – 184,000
6. God, Your Mama, And Me [Orphan] – 169,000
7. Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely [Millennium] – 145,000
8. Larger than Life [Millennium] – 139,000
9. Incomplete [Never Gone] – 97,000
10. Let It Be Me [Orphan] – 81,000
11. Drowning [Orphan] – 80,000
12. Don’t Go Breaking My Heart [DNA] – 80,000
13. Christmas Time [Orphan] – 75,000
14. I’ll Never Break Your Heart [Backstreet Boys] – 69,000
15. All I Have to Give [Backstreet’s Back] – 69,000
16. The Call [Black & Blue] – 63,000
17. No Place [DNA] – 59,000
18. The One [Millennium] – 48,000
19. Chances [DNA] – 47,000
20. We’ve Got It Goin’ On [Backstreet Boys] – 44,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA (app), QQ, Genie, Anghami, Audiomack, Boomplay.
You may be interested in…
… Backstreet Boys‘ full CSPC analysis