Bon Jovi‘s Slippery When Wet being the most successful album of 1986 and the 13th ever, one can expect massive numbers on streaming avenue for this album. Is this feeling true? And what about their other albums?
PS: Updated on January 28, 2022. These values are used for the automatic updates of artists and albums total instead of former ones from CSPC analysis.
Bon Jovi streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
Video Streams– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Bon Jovi streaming review – the results
Total: 5,360,561 EAS
Bon Jovi: Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Livin’ on a Prayer [Slippery When Wet] – 1,009,000
2. You Give Love a Bad Name [Slippery When Wet] – 695,000
3. It’s My Life [Crush] – 650,000
4. Always [Orphan] – 420,000
5. Wanted Dead or Alive [Slippery When Wet] – 295,000
6. Bed of Roses [Keep the Faith] – 269,000
7. Runaway [Bon Jovi] – 169,000
8. I’ll Be There for You [New Jersey] – 160,000
9. Bad Medicine [New Jersey] – 122,000
10. Blaze Of Glory [Blaze of Glory] – 113,000
11. Thank You for Loving Me [Crush] – 75,000
12. Never Say Goodbye [Slippery When Wet] – 71,000
13. Have a Nice Day [Have a Nice Day] – 71,000
14. Born to Be My Baby [New Jersey] – 65,000
15. This Ain’t a Love Song [These Days] – 55,000
16. In These Arms [Keep the Faith] – 44,000
17. Keep the Faith [Keep the Faith] – 41,000
18. We Weren’t Born to Follow [The Circle] – 38,000
19. Who Says You Can’t Go Home [Have a Nice Day] – 37,000
20. Misunderstood [Bounce] – 32,000