Streaming Masters – Xuxa
The “Queen of the shorties” Xuxa took Brazil by storm in 1986. Her TV show, dedicated to kids, was aired daily for 5 hours in the country’s main channel, Globo, shooting her to unparalleled popularity.
If this mass hysteria enabled the icon to reach record breaking album sales, we dig into her streaming statistics to see if her catalog is still alive nearly 3 decades after the end of her show.
Xuxa streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
We have added more sources to factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries. Indeed, these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, we have used the sources below along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
- South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
- Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
- Arabic world: Anghami streams
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
- Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
- China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
- Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
Xuxa streaming review – the results
Total: 814,002 EAS
Xuxa most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Estátua [Só para Baixinhos 4 – Praia] – 57,000
2. Cinco Patinhos [Só para Baixinhos] – 41,000
3. Enquanto o Seu Lobo Não Vem [Só para Baixinhos 2] – 34,000
4. Ilariê [Xou da Xuxa 3] – 30,000
5. Pot-Pourri Nacional: O Sapo Não Lava o Pé / Minhoca / O Coelhinho [Só para Baixinhos 2] – 24,000
6. Parabéns da Xuxa [Xou da Xuxa] – 22,000
7. O Ônibus [Só para Baixinhos 2] – 19,000
8. Os Números (John Bradlelum) / Cabeça, Ombro, Joelho e Pé (Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes) [Só para Baixinhos] – 18,000
9. Cinco Macaquinhos [Só para Baixinhos 2] – 17,000
10. Soco, Bate, Vira [Só para Baixinhos 5 – Circo] – 17,000
You may be interested in…
… our full CSPC analysis of Xuxa‘s success.