More than 50 years after his passing, Jimi Hendrix and his music remain popular to this day.
All Along the Watchtower, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Little Wing… with a catalog full of hits, we digged Spotify, YouTube and the likes to know which songs are the biggest.
Jimi Hendrix streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
Video Streams– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Jimi Hendrix streaming review – the results
Total: 2,296,992 EAS
Jimi Hendrix: Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. All Along the Watchtower [Electric Ladyland] – 508,000
2. Purple Haze [Are You Experienced] – 252,000
3. Hey Joe [Are You Experienced] – 221,000
4. Little Wing [Axis: Bold as Love] – 174,000
5. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) [Electric Ladyland] – 137,000
6. Foxy Lady [Are You Experienced] – 84,000
7. The Wind Cries Mary [Are You Experienced] – 80,000
8. Castles Made of Sand [Axis: Bold as Love] – 51,000
9. Crosstown Traffic [Electric Ladyland] – 48,000
10. Red House [Are You Experienced] – 47,000
11. Fire [Are You Experienced] – 35,000
12. Hear My Train A Comin’ [Band of Gypsys] – 33,000
13. Bold as Love [Axis: Bold as Love] – 28,000
14. If Six Was Nine [Axis: Bold as Love] – 22,000
15. May This Be Love [Are You Experienced] – 21,000
16. Angel [First Rays of the New Rising Sun] – 19,000
17. Manic Depression [Are You Experienced] – 19,000
18. Have Mercy [Orphan] – 17,000
19. Spanish Castle Magic [Axis: Bold as Love] – 17,000
20. Stone Free [Valleys of Neptune] – 16,000