Streaming Masters – Ozzy Osbourne
After 10 years and 8 studio albums as Black Sabbath singer, Ozzy Osbourne went solo with the 1980 album Blizzard of Ozz. Is his personal success comparable to the one obtained with his group on streaming platforms?
Ozzy Osbourne streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Ozzy Osbourne streaming review – the results
Total: 1,236,961 EAS
Ozzy Osbourne most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Crazy Train [Blizzard of Ozz] – 249,000
2. Take What You Want [Ordinary Man] – 245,000
3. Mama, I’m Coming Home [No More Tears] – 91,000
4. Mr. Crowley [Blizzard of Ozz] – 61,000
5. Bark at the Moon [Bark at the Moon] – 56,000
6. Dreamer [Down to Earth] – 55,000
7. No More Tears [No More Tears] – 52,000
8. Close My Eyes Forever [Orphan (Ozzy Osbourne)] – 33,000
9. Shot in the Dark [The Ultimate Sin] – 27,000
10. I Don’t Wanna Stop [Black Rain] – 21,000
12. Hellraiser [No More Tears] – 17,000
11. Over the Mountain [Diary of a Madman] – 17,000
13. Let Me Hear You Scream [Scream] – 14,000
14. Perry Mason [Ozzmosis] – 13,000
15. Under the Graveyard [Ordinary Man] – 13,000
16. I Just Want You [Ozzmosis] – 12,000
17. Goodbye to Romance [Blizzard of Ozz] – 10,000
18. Road to Nowhere [No More Tears] – 9,000
19. See You on the Other Side [Ozzmosis] – 9,000
20. Flying High Again [Diary of a Madman] – 9,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA (app), Xiami, Genie.
He puts the Post Malone hit on his new album and BOOM it’s the biggest album since his debut – and likely about to overtake that one too. I say bull****! Graveyard is good the rest not so good.
Kinda like Queen putting Under Pressure on Hot Space… That was already a hit too, but at least it was their song – and it was brilliant!
My guess is Ozzy was just a hired gun on TWYW…
You should check Spotify numbers for the Prince of Darkness boxset. Some big figures missing. Most notably Mr. Crowley 42,125,000.
But also Over the Mountain 2,521,000 and I Don’t Know 1,107,000 and some other smaller figures as well.
And check the Ozzman Cometh compilation. It has 2,906,000 for Goodbye to Romance.
Thanks to you to notice these deleted tracks! 🙂
Ozzy has sold more albums than Black Sabbath according to his certifications.
30 million pure In US alone.
His streaming is comparable to Black Sabbath despite releasing 7 albums less.
In my opinion, Ozzy will be either bit below or bit above Black Sabbath numbers. I predict 70 to 80 million.
I’m guessing 62m EAS.
I sense an Ozzy analysis coming up. Let’s start the bets: I’ll go with 68m EAS.