Streaming Masters – Mannheim Steamroller
This week, Christmas titles broke all kind of records on streaming platforms, with Mariah Carey‘s All I Want For Christmas Is You hitting 17 million daily plays on Spotify.
During pure sales era, Christmas kings were Mannheim Steamroller. How are they doing in this day and age?
Mannheim Steamroller streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Mannheim Steamroller streaming review – the results
Total: 106,669 EAS
Mannheim Steamroller most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Deck the Halls [Christmas] – 8,000
2. Carol of the Bells [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 7,000
3. Christmas Sweet: God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen [Christmas] – 4,000
4. We Three Kings [Christmas] – 3,000
5. Stille Nacht (Silent Night) [Christmas] – 3,000
6. Joy to the World [Christmas in the Aire] – 3,000
7. Veni Veni (O Come O Come Emmanuel) [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 3,000
8. Traditions of Christmas [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 3,000
9. The Holly and the Ivy [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 3,000
10. Greensleeves [Classical Gas] – 2,000
11. Little Drummer Boy [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 2,000
12. Good King Wenceslas [Christmas] – 2,000
13. Cantique de Noel (O Holy Night) [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 2,000
14. Away in a Manger [Christmas Extraordinaire] – 2,000
15. Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 2,000
16. Do You Hear What I Hear? [Christmas Extraordinaire] – 2,000
17. Christmas Lullaby [Christmas in the Aire] – 2,000
18. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen [Christmas] – 2,000
19. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing [A Fresh Aire Christmas] – 2,000
20. Hallelujah [Christmas Extraordinaire] – 2,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA, Genie (app), Xiami.