Streaming Masters – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
In the history of music, most supergroups failed to meet expectations. One of them crushed them all yet: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
Former members of Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies and The Byrds combined their skills to invade airwaves in late 60s and early 70s.
Half a century after their golden period, how is their discography performing on streaming platforms?
Updated on May 10, 2021
Crosby Stills Nash & Young streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Crosby Stills Nash & Young streaming review – the results
Total: 759,029 EAS
Crosby Stills Nash & Young most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Our House [Déjà Vu] – 89,000
2. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes [Crosby, Stills & Nash] – 87,000
3. Ohio [Orphan (CSN(&Y))] – 84,000
4. Helplessly Hoping [Crosby, Stills & Nash] – 83,000
5. Southern Cross [Daylight Again] – 63,000
6. Teach Your Children [Déjà Vu] – 52,000
7. Almost Cut My Hair [Déjà Vu] – 36,000
8. Helpless [Déjà Vu] – 35,000
9. Carry On [Déjà Vu] – 32,000
10. Love The One You’re With [Orphan (CSN(&Y))] – 23,000
11. Woodstock [Déjà Vu] – 20,000
12. Wooden Ships [Crosby, Stills & Nash] – 20,000
13. Marrakesh Express [Crosby, Stills & Nash] – 12,000
14. Long Time Gone [Crosby, Stills & Nash] – 11,000
15. Music Is Love [Orphan (CSN(&Y))] – 11,000
16. Dark Star [CSN] – 9,000
17. Just a Song Before I Go [CSN] – 8,000
18. Déjà Vu [Déjà Vu] – 8,000
19. Guinnevere [Crosby, Stills & Nash] – 7,000
20. 4 + 20 [Déjà Vu] – 6,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA, Genie (app), QQ.