Understanding: Worldwide Estimations Information

  • 2

We all Have Paths in Life, We Just Have to Choose the Right One.

IX) The case of Sweden

Sweden has a very special position in the music industry. They are an open door to the future. From a musical point of view, they have always been way ahead of anyone else in understanding popular music trends. From Blue Swede to Ace Of Base to ABBA, many cult acts came from this country, always with a sound way ahead of its time. Lately, they dominated the electro music scene with the likes of the Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, Icona Pop, Tove Lo, and Zara Larsson. Even more impressive, almost all big pop stars of the last 20 years like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Lady Gaga, Pink, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift were in reality hugely helped by Swedish producers like Max Martin and RedOne. The former is responsible for 22 US #1 hits, more than anyone minus Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

Sweden isn’t only ahead of others from a musical point of view, but also in an industry vision. It is no coincidence that Spotify is a Swedish company. It is also no coincidence that Sweden has been the first country to see treaming dominate its industry. By now, this format represents an unreal 86% of their market while singles, CDs, LPs, downloads, ringtones and music videos combined make up for only the remaining 14%.

As a result, figures you will find for recent releases in Sweden will be almost exclusively streaming figures in reality, with very few pure album sales. Once again, their calculation is different from that of other countries, giving rise to even more discrepancies. I often read breakdowns focusing on US pure album sales, because they don’t like the SPS approach, and then use Swedish certifications which reflect almost only streaming, how relevant is such a list?

11 thoughts on “Understanding: Worldwide Estimations Information”

  1. Now double album in Poland is counted like one album. So double album will require 10,000 units shipped to be awarded a Gold plaque.

  2. In Sweden the album certifications also include individual track downloads.
    Source: http://www.ifpi.se/wp-content/uploads/Guld-och-Platina-guide-ver2-20115.pdf

    Swedish text translated into English by using Google translator:
    “Rules for releases from January 1, 2010
    Rules for certificate – Album
    For album titled Y, the following are included:
    1. Sale of different versions of physical albums Y.
    2. Download bundle corresponding first
    3. For an artist albums: Download / streaming of tracks from the album under 2. crediting
    may take place regardless of whether they played / downloaded from the single, album or collection. Only Downloads / Streaming made no earlier than six months before the album’s release date may be counted.
    4. compilation / “Best of” (non-artist album): Download / streaming of tracks made from the specific album, from its release date may be counted.
    5. For individual Downloads / Streaming under 3, they may only be credited to the
    an artist album.”


  3. Hi Dear MJD !!!

    congratulations again for the website and also for Understanding: Worldwide Estimations Information.
    I would just like to know if this week you will analyze some group such as the Rolling Stones or singer such as David Bowie for example !!!

  4. Hello dear MJD !!!

    I Just wanted to know if this week you will analyze CSPC analysis some singer or group or this week is the opening of the Holiday season ?

  5. Hi MJD,

    I agree that Mediatraffic is not very precise but when you want to know more or less estimations of sales, it’s the only website where we can refer
    But your article is very clear and I agree with you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *