Streaming Masters – Amy Winehouse
British songstress Amy Winehouse has multiple classic songs that helped her become one of the most recognizable artists of the millennium. Today, we remember the singer 8 years after her passing by looking at her streaming numbers.
Amy Winehouse streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Amy Winehouse streaming review – the results
Total: 2,506,186 EAS
Amy Winehouse most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Back To Black [Back To Black] – 375,000
2. Valerie [Back To Black] – 337,000
3. Rehab [Back To Black] – 265,000
4. You Know I’m No Good [Back To Black] – 238,000
5. Tears Dry On Their Own [Back To Black] – 177,000
6. Love Is A Losing Game [Back To Black] – 117,000
7. Stronger Than Me [Frank] – 75,000
8. Me & Mr Jones [Back To Black] – 63,000
9. Wake Up Alone [Back To Black] – 62,000
10. Some Unholy War [Back To Black] – 55,000
11. Our Day Will Come [Lioness: Hidden Treasures] – 51,000
12. Body And Soul [Lioness: Hidden Treasures] – 51,000
13. Will You Still Love Me [Lioness: Hidden Treasures] – 48,000
14. He Can Only Hold Her [Back To Black] – 44,000
15. Fuck Me Pumps [Frank] – 35,000
16. Just Friends [Back To Black] – 34,000
17. What Is It About Men? [Frank] – 33,000
18. The Girl From Ipanema [Lioness: Hidden Treasures] – 29,000
19. Like Smoke [Lioness: Hidden Treasures] – 26,000
20. Addicted [Back To Black] – 26,000
could you update the streams pls ?
Why the total is 4M ? When I add all the total figures, I only have 2,5M EAS
That way you can play a game and spot which article we used to copy/paste the draft :p
Our laziness is now fixed 🙂
Why would you use genie streams to extrapolate Thailand, Taiwan and Vietnam? The three markets are vastly different. This would disadvantage artists who aren’t popular in South Korea but are huge in the other 3 countries.
There is no perfect solution since there is many platforms that do not show their numbers. Right now there is specific platforms to estimate China, Japan, and South Korea. Then the rest was historically extrapolated only from Spotify. We then added YouTube, and now it makes sense to add a platform like Genie to the mix that may be closer to real streams of various countries. Not perfect of course, but certainly an improvement from Spotify-only source 🙂