A mere three years ago, Post Malone was barely getting a name in North America while still unknown elsewhere.
From the explosion of Rockstar in late 2017 yet, nothing has been able to slow him down.
His last output Hollywood’s Bleeding proved that the singer was here to stay. Fresh off his third consecutive nomination for Grammy’s Record of the Year we review his splendid success figures.
Get to know Post Malone
Post Malone‘s real name is Austin Richard Post. Born in July 4, 1995 in the state of New-York, U.S., he raised in Texas from the age of 9. Surrounded by music from a very young age, he started recording during his teenage years.
Post Malone is regarded as a rapper. He actually began playing rock music, but started to break through in 2015 with a hip hop / pop crossover sound.
3. Post Malone issued his debut album Stoney in 2016, follow up Beerbongs & Bentleys in 2018 and Hollywood’s Bleeding in 2019.
It’s not easy to follow up a breakthrough success as big as Rockstar. The song went to #1 in virtually every English-speaking market, the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New-Zealand, but also all over Scandinavia and multiple more countries.
He confirmed this success with ease still. Psycho, Better Now, Sunflower, Wow, Goodbyes, Circles all went on to become highly popular.
It raises questions as to how big the American artist really is.
As usual, I’ll be using the Commensurate Sales to Popularity Concept in order to relevantly gauge his results.
This concept will not only bring you sales information for all Post Malone‘s albums, physical and download singles, as well as audio and video streaming, but it will also determine their true popularity.
If you are not yet familiar with the CSPC method, the next page explains it with a short video. I fully recommend watching the video before getting into the sales figures. Of course, if you are a regular visitor feel free to skip the video and get into the figures.
The Commensurate Sales to Popularity Concept (CSPC)
There are two ways to understand this revolutionary concept. The first is the Scribe video posted below. If you are unaware of the CSPC method, you will get the full idea within just a few minutes.
If you are a mathematical person, and want to know the full method as well as formulas, you can read the full introduction article.
Now let’s get into the artist’s sales figures in detail in order to apply this concept and define the act’s true popularity!
Post Malone Albums Sales
Original Album Sales – Comments
Artists who have been able to build a fan base before the collapse of pure sales can enjoy some purchases. It’s not the case of true newcomers though.
This is ever truer for urban artists as their followers have made the transition to streaming services for many years already.
Results of Post Malone‘s pure sales are thus not outstanding, although they are definitely gaining traction as they are now getting collected thanks to their highly positive critical reception.
Combined, in spite of limited releases in many markets, they add up for over 1.7 million, up from 1 million 15 months ago.
Post Malone Songs Sales
Physical Singles Sales
As a reminder, the weighting is done with a 10 to 3 ratio between one album and one physical single.
To the surprise of nobody, Post Malone did next to nothing there. One could have expected that none of his songs ever came out in physical formats.
Many of them did though, mostly as collectors. Sales in absolute terms remain tiny.
As a reminder, the weighting is done with a 10 to 1,5 ratio between one album and one digital single.
The career of the rap star is so young that even downloads were dying when he started making some noise.
Giving this context, it’s quite impressive to see Rockstar at near 2 million sales.
With over 1 million sales each White Iversion, Congratulations, Psycho, Better Now and Sunflower are also great sellers.
All singles plus album cuts register nice scores, with a career total which in closing in 15 million sales in this format.
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube. To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Post Malone records the incredible feat of having 8 billion-streaming hits on Spotify alone. No other artist does that well.
Rockstar retains a comfortable lead with 2.1 billion, plus 1.8 billion on YouTube. It’s the 4th most streamed song of all-time in the former platform.
From Beerbongs & Bentleys, two more songs do wonders, Better and Psycho add for 2.65 million EAS from streams alone.
Late 2018 hit Sunflower is already close to 1.8 billion. The song is still as high as #70 on today’s top Spotify chart after 770 days on it.
The song ended up being part of Hollywood’s Bleeding tracklist as well as early hits Wow and Goodbyes.
The former is one more billionaire while the latter will get there. Circles, issued just before the album release, stands at 1.2 billion on Spotify.
Both Sunflower and Circles are among the 5 longest running Top 10 hits of all-time in the US, with 33 and 39 weeks, respectively.
His success remains more modest in Asian platforms so far although it is improving as time goes by.
In terms of albums, Beerbongs & Bentleys lead the way with a stunning 8.9 million equivalent album sales.
Full catalog breakdown
If you are familiar with the artist’s catalog and want to check details of each and every song, you can access to all of them right here.
Keep yourself up to date
Our website provides you a fantastic tool which fetchs updated Spotify streams as you request them, use it to watch these results grow day after day!
Post Malone Career CSPC Results
So, after checking all the figures, how many overall equivalent album sales has each album by Post Malone achieved? Well, at this point we hardly need to add up all of the figures defined in this article!
In the following table, all categories display figures that way, e.g. in equivalent album sales. For example, singles from Stoney released in digital format sold the equivalent of 755,000 album albums – 5,030,000 downloads with a 10 to 1,5 weighting.
As a reminder:
- Studio Album: sales of the original album
- Other Releases: sales of compilations generated thanks to the album
- Physical Singles: sales of physical singles from the album (ratio 3/10)
- Download Singles: sales of digital singles from the album (ratio 1,5/10)
- Streaming: equivalent album sales of all the album tracks (ratio 1/1500 for Audio stream and 1/11750 for Video stream)
It would be easy, but highly wrong, to claim that Post Malone sales aren’t impressive because they are made mostly of streams.
The fact is that streams take longer to amass large numbers than sales. It takes billions of plays, and even more minutes of people listening to them.
To reach numbers as incredible as 7.78 million for Stoney and 10.35 million for Beerbongs & Bentleys so fast is then pretty outstanding.
The release Hollywood’s Bleeding has been an immense success story as well. Some 15 months after its publication, it already stands at 8.86 million!
That career total of Post Malone is up to 29.3 million equivalent album sales.
Singles CSPC results
The list is compiled in album equivalent sales generated by each song. Therefore, these figures are not merged units of singles formats. Instead, it includes weighted sales of the song’s physical single, download, ringtone and streaming as well as its share among sales of all albums on which it is featured.
1. 2017 – Post Malone ft. 21 Savage – Rockstar [Beerbongs & Bentleys] – 2,750,000
2. 2018 – Post Malone & Swae Lee – Sunflower [Hollywood’s Bleeding] – 2,330,000
3. 2016 – Post Malone ft. Quavo – Congratulations [Stoney] – 1,790,000
4. 2018 – Post Malone – Better Now [Beerbongs & Bentleys] – 1,690,000
5. 2018 – Post Malone – Circles [Hollywood’s Bleeding] – 1,520,000
6. 2018 – Post Malone ft. Ty Dolla $ign – Psycho [Beerbongs & Bentleys] – 1,480,000
7. 2018 – Post Malone – Wow [Hollywood’s Bleeding] – 1,440,000
8. 2016 – Post Malone – I Fall Apart [Stoney] – 1,380,000
If you feel inspired by this list, we just created this CSPC Post Malone playlist on Spotify!
Thanks to our new ASR (Artist Success Rating) concept, we know that his sales represent 11.13 million times the purchase of his entire discography. Coupled with his total sales, it translates into an ASR score of 102.
Records & Achievements
- At 7,775,000 EAS, Stoney is among the 10 most successful albums from 2016.
- At 10,351,000 EAS, Beerbongs & Bentleys is the most successful album from 2018.
- At 8,862,000 EAS, Hollywood’s Bleeding is the 2nd most successful album from 2019.
- At 2,100,952,000 streams, Rockstar is the 4th most streamed song of all-time on Spotify.
- At 8, Post Malone has the second most songs over a billion streams on Spotify.
- At 39 weeks, Circles has the 2nd longest run ever inside the US Hot 100 Top 10.
- At 33 weeks, Sunflower has the 3rd longest run ever inside the US Hot 100 Top 10.
- All 3 Post Malone albums are among the 10 most streamed ever on Spotify (in release order at 10, 2 and 6).
NB: EAS means Equivalent Album Sales.
You may be interested in…
… best-selling artists, albums, and singles
To improve your navigation we created several amazing cross-artists lists posted inside the CSPC: Data Collector article. Click on it to see the full listing of all CSPC results compiled so far!
… similar artists
To put figures from this article into perspective, click on the images below to reach career breakdowns of similar artists:
As usual, feel free to comment and / or ask a question!