Streaming Masters – Lady Gaga
Iconic diva Lady Gaga made a stunning comeback since the release of the song Shallow from A Star Is Born movie. The track and the album quickly jumped to the top of sales and streaming charts all over the world.
Is it fueling her back catalog as well? How does the soundtrack perform in comparison to her blockbuster The Fame?
Lady Gaga streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Lady Gaga streaming review – the results
Total: 12,515,139 EAS
Lady Gaga most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Shallow [A Star Is Born] – 1,565,000
2. Bad Romance [The Fame / The Fame Monster] – 674,000
3. Poker Face [The Fame / The Fame Monster] – 624,000
4. Always Remember Us This Way [A Star Is Born] – 610,000
5. Million Reasons [Joanne] – 573,000
6. Rain on Me [Chromatica] – 542,000
7. Telephone [The Fame / The Fame Monster] – 444,000
8. I’ll Never Love Again [A Star Is Born] – 426,000
9. Just Dance [The Fame / The Fame Monster] – 405,000
10. Born This Way [Born This Way] – 339,000
11. The Cure [Orphan] – 337,000
12. Applause [Artpop] – 334,000
13. Alejandro [The Fame / The Fame Monster] – 267,000
14. Stupid Love [Chromatica] – 264,000
15. Paparazzi [The Fame / The Fame Monster] – 260,000
16. Perfect Illusion [Joanne] – 196,000
17. Sour Candy [Chromatica] – 194,000
18. The Edge Of Glory [Born This Way] – 175,000
19. Judas [Born This Way] – 169,000
20. Do What You Want [Artpop] – 143,000
Sources: Spotify, YouTube, AWA, Genie (app), Xiami.
You may be interested in…
… Lady Gaga‘s full CSPC analysis