Streaming Masters – The Yardbirds
By late 1965, the Yardbirds were one of the hottest bands around, securing UK and US top 10 hits with multiple releases.
Up to the 90s, the popularity of their former member Eric Clapton drove their catalog, but even these days seem long gone. How does this situation translates into streaming numbers?
Yardbirds streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
– Arabic world: Anghami streams
– Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
– Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
Yardbirds streaming review – the results
Total: 182,871 EAS
Yardbirds most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Heart Full of Soul [Having a Rave Up] – 63,000
2. For Your Love [For Your Love] – 43,000
3. Dust My Broom [Orphan (The Yardbirds)] – 15,000
4. Shapes of Things [Having a Rave Up] – 10,000
5. Over, Under, Sideways, Down [Yardbirds] – 9,000
You may be interested in…
… our Eric Clapton series
… streaming tops and tools
We have created amazing cross-artists tops. Click to see all streaming results compiled so far!
… similar artists
Click for streaming masters analyses of classic rock artists: