K-Pop superstars BTS are bigger and bigger each year, beating each time their previous sales. They dominated the start of the 2020s like no one else, and they are now facing the challenge of remaining relevant while on hiatus.
One may wonder if their streams are just as good as their pure sales so let’s review their performances online.
BTS streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
Usually, it’s enough to accurately gauge the streaming performances of an artist. It isn’t for a band especially strong in South Korea where Spotify isn’t available.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea: Genie streams * 2.20 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan: AWA streams * 68 / 4 (AWA has 4% of the Japanese streaming market, and 32% are already considered through Spotify’s extrapolation)
– Arabic world: Anghami streams
– Sub-Saharan Africa: Boomplay + Audiomack streams
– Elsewhere: Spotify streams * 649 / 406 (649 million subscribers of global platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, etc. against 406 million from Spotify itself) + Genie streams * 2.20 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views increased by 10% to account for various local platforms
*since Chinese streaming platforms are mostly video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1,500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 6,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 649/406 + Genie * 2.20 * 2 + AWA * 68 / 4 + Anghami + Boomplay + Audiomack ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube * 1.1 ) / 6750
Please be aware that when the artist is regarded as the lead act, he is rewarded with 100% of these units, while featured acts share among them a 50% piece of the totals.
BTS streaming review – the results
Total: 47,146,550 EAS
BTS most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Dynamite [BE] – 2,921,000
2. Butter [Orphan] – 2,007,000
3. Boy with Luv [Map of the Soul: Persona] – 1,970,000
4. Fake Love [Love Yourself: Tear] – 1,282,000
5. DNA [Love Yourself: Her] – 1,251,000
6. Idol [Love Yourself: Answer] – 1,171,000
7. MIC Drop [Love Yourself: Her] – 1,131,000
8. Blood Sweat & Tears [Wings] – 1,069,000
9. Spring Day [Wings] – 1,049,000
10. My Universe [Orphan] – 959,000
11. On [Map of the Soul: 7] – 958,000
12. Permission to Dance [Orphan] – 938,000
13. Life Goes On [BE] – 929,000
14. Make It Right [Map of the Soul: Persona] – 739,000
15. Fire [Orphan] – 709,000
16. Black Swan [Map of the Soul: 7] – 624,000
17. Dope [The Most Beautiful Moment In Life, Pt. 1] – 622,000
18. Go Go [Love Yourself: Her] – 612,000
19. I Need U [The Most Beautiful Moment In Life, Pt. 1] – 608,000
20. Euphoria [Love Yourself: Answer] – 574,000