Streaming Masters – Aaliyah
In the late 90s, Aaliyah was often seen as the next generation R&B/hip hop singer, as her nickname “Queen of Urban Pop” suggests. Two decades after she passed away way too young, let’s have a look to her streaming figures!
Since Aaliyah’s discography has been added to Spotify catalog in August 2021 only, her figures may be lower than the real popularity she has nowaday.
PS: Updated on April 9, 2022. These values are used for the automatic updates of artists and albums total instead of former ones from CSPC analysis.
Aaliyah streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
Video Streams– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Aaliyah streaming review – the results
Total: 609,789 EAS
Aaliyah: Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Try Again [Orphan] – 77,000
2. At Your Best (You Are Love) [Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number] – 75,000
3. Are You That Somebody? [Orphan] – 68,000
4. Back & Forth [Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number] – 65,000
5. Don’t Think They Know [Orphan] – 54,000
6. I Don’t Wanna [Orphan] – 28,000
7. Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number [Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number] – 24,000
8. One in a Million [One in a Million] – 23,000
9. More Than a Woman [Aaliyah] – 22,000
10. Rock the Boat [Aaliyah] – 20,000
11. We Need a Resolution [Aaliyah] – 15,000
12. Poison [Orphan] – 11,000
13. Hot Like Fire [One in a Million] – 9,000
14. If Your Girl Only Knew [One in a Million] – 9,000
15. Miss You [Orphan] – 8,000
16. 4 Page Letter [One in a Million] – 8,000
17. I’m So into You [Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number] – 7,000
18. Down with the Clique [Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number] – 5,000
19. I Care 4 U [Aaliyah] – 5,000
20. Best Friends [Orphan] – 5,000