20 years after Norah Jones the release of her first album Come Away With Me, which is the 5th most succesfull album of the 2000s, how well are this album and the follow ups performing on streaming plateforms?
PS: Updated on January 16, 2022. These values are used for the automatic updates of artists and albums total instead of former ones from CSPC analysis.
Norah Jones streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
Video Streams– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Norah Jones streaming review – the results
Total: 2,965,391 EAS
Norah Jones: Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Don’t Know Why [Come Away with Me] – 372,000
2. Come Away with Me [Come Away with Me] – 288,000
3. Sunrise [Feels Like Home] – 219,000
4. Turn Me On [Come Away with Me] – 146,000
5. Carry On [Day Breaks] – 82,000
6. Seven Years [Come Away with Me] – 63,000
7. Shoot the Moon [Come Away with Me] – 61,000
8. What Am I to You? [Feels Like Home] – 60,000
9. Feelin’ the Same Way [Come Away with Me] – 52,000
10. Those Sweet Words [Feels Like Home] – 50,000
11. Chasing Pirates [The Fall] – 49,000
12. It’s Not Christmas ‘Til You Come Home [Orphan] – 44,000
13. Thinking About You [Not Too Late] – 40,000
14. The Nearness of You [Come Away with Me] – 36,000
15. Happy Pills [Little Broken Hearts] – 35,000
16. Here We Go Again [Orphan] – 34,000
17. Cold Cold Heart [Come Away with Me] – 34,000
18. Unchained Melody [Orphan] – 31,000
19. Lonestar [Come Away with Me] – 30,000
20. I’ve Got to See You Again [Come Away with Me] – 29,000