Since 1974 and their success on Eurovision Song Contest with the hit Waterloo, and during the following 8 years, the Swedish group ABBA has released songs that are each more iconic than the next: Dancing Queen, Mamma Mia, Chiquitita, The Winner Takes It All, and many others.
Four decades after their split, they have released a new album called Voyage. How big are this album and the legendary previous ones on streaming plateforms?
PS: Updated on December 31, 2021. These values are used for the automatic updates of artists and albums total instead of former ones from CSPC analysis.
ABBA streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
Video Streams– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
ABBA streaming review – the results
Total: 4,434,419 EAS
ABBA: Most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Dancing Queen [Arrival] – 718,000
2. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) [Orphan] – 370,000
3. Mamma Mia [ABBA] – 308,000
4. The Winner Takes It All [Super Trouper] – 260,000
5. Take a Chance on Me [The Album] – 204,000
6. Chiquitita [Voulez-Vous] – 192,000
7. Waterloo [Waterloo] – 176,000
8. Super Trouper [Super Trouper] – 171,000
9. Lay All Your Love on Me [Super Trouper] – 159,000
10. Fernando [Orphan] – 113,000
11. SOS [ABBA] – 112,000
12. Knowing Me, Knowing You [Arrival] – 109,000
13. Voulez-Vous [Voulez-Vous] – 104,000
14. Does Your Mother Know? [Voulez-Vous] – 98,000
15. Money, Money, Money [Arrival] – 92,000
16. I Have a Dream [Voulez-Vous] – 75,000
17. Thank You for the Music [The Album] – 67,000
18. Happy New Year [Super Trouper] – 63,000
19. One of Us [The Visitors] – 62,000
20. Honey Honey [Waterloo] – 53,000