The short-lived band Buffalo Springfield is often seen as the breakthrough group of two legends, Neil Young and Stephen Stills.
While subsequent catalogs of their members are difficult to compare with, the band still managed to score one big smash hit that remains incredibly popular to this day…
Updated on May 10, 2021
Buffalo Springfield streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : QQ video streams * 50 if the song is available for audio stream, QQ video streams * 5 elseway (scale built based on known figures for several major artists)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted on par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( QQ views* 50(or 5) + YouTube ) / 11750
Buffalo Springfield streaming review – the results
Total: 373,499 EAS
Buffalo Springfield most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. For What It’s Worth [Buffalo Springfield] – 293,000
2. Mr. Soul [Buffalo Springfield Again] – 17,000
3. Expecting to Fly [Buffalo Springfield Again] – 6,000
4. On the Way Home [Last Time Around] – 5,000
5. I Am a Child [Last Time Around] – 5,000
6. Sit Down, I Think I Love You [Buffalo Springfield] – 5,000
7. Kind Woman [Last Time Around] – 5,000
8. Bluebird [Buffalo Springfield Again] – 4,000
9. Hot Dusty Roads [Buffalo Springfield] – 4,000
10. Broken Arrow [Buffalo Springfield Again] – 3,000