How good streaming numbers of Coldplay can be when their discography includes songs like Yellow, Clocks, The Scientist, In My Place, Fix You, Viva La Vida, Paradise, A Sky Full Of Stars, Hymn For The Weekend, and Something Just Like This?
A deep and highly successful catalog, these facts are already a given, but how does that translate in numbers on platforms like Spotify and YouTube?
Coldplay streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Coldplay streaming review – the results
Total: 14,758,828 EAS
Coldplay most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. Something Just Like This [Orphan] – 1,847,000
2. Hymn For The Weekend [A Head Full Of Dreams] – 1,292,000
3. The Scientist [A Rush Of Blood To The Head] – 912,000
4. Viva La Vida [Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends] – 858,000
5. A Sky Full Of Stars [Ghost Stories] – 804,000
6. Adventure Of A Lifetime [A Head Full Of Dreams] – 713,000
7. Yellow [Parachutes] – 713,000
8. Fix You [X&Y] – 695,000
9. Paradise [Mylo Xyloto] – 621,000
10. Magic [Ghost Stories] – 501,000
11. Everglow [A Head Full Of Dreams] – 364,000
12. Clocks [A Rush Of Blood To The Head] – 338,000
13. Princess Of China [Mylo Xyloto] – 271,000
14. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall [Mylo Xyloto] – 207,000
15. Up&Up [A Head Full Of Dreams] – 202,000
16. Trouble [Parachutes] – 165,000
17. Christmas Lights [Orphan] – 149,000
18. In My Place [A Rush Of Blood To The Head] – 149,000
19. Midnight [Ghost Stories] – 140,000
20. Charlie Brown [Mylo Xyloto] – 137,000