Prog rock British icons Supertramp are still widely loved in markets like France and Italy, but they have disappeared from the radar in English-speaking markets for decades.
How does this situation translate into streaming numbers? Is it possibly to have sold millions of albums and get next to zero plays nowadays?
Supertramp streaming review – the method
Streaming is made up of audio and video streams. Our CSPC methodology now includes both to better reflect the real popularity of each track. The main source of data for each avenue is respectively Spotify and YouTube.
To factor in the growing impact of multiple Asian countries where these platforms aren’t always the go-to site for music streaming, more sources have been added.
In order to account for their real popularity in each relevant country, the below sources have been used along with the mentioned ratios that reflect the market share of each area.
– South Korea : Genie streams * 3.05 (consistent with Gaon streaming numbers)
– Japan : AWA streams * 100/5.5 (AWA has 5.5% of the Japanese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Spotify streams * (370 – 8.5 – 9.5 – 33 – 9) / 207 (370 million global subscribers minus 8.5 million from South Korea minus 9.5 million from Japan minus 33 million from China divided by the number of Spotify only users minus 9 million more Asian users) + Genie streams * 3.05 (uses Genie rather than Spotify to extrapolate markets like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
– China* : Xiami streams * 125/6.5 (Xiami has just over 5% of the Chinese streaming market)
– Elsewhere : Youtube views
*since 96.4% of Chinese streaming platforms are free users, that paid-for users pay less than $2 a month and that they are also used as video streaming platforms, their streams are weighted in par with YouTube streams.
Audio Stream value – 1500 plays equal 1 album unit
Video Stream value – 11,750 views equal 1 album unit
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = ( Spotify * 310/207 + Genie * 3.05*2 + AWA * 100/5.5 ) / 1500 + ( Xiami * 125/6.5 + YouTube ) / 11750
Supertramp streaming review – the results
Total: 624,239 EAS
Supertramp most streamed tracks (EAS)
1. The Logical Song [Breakfast in America] – 120,000
2. Give a Little Bit [Even in the Quietest Moments…] – 93,000
3. Breakfast in America [Breakfast in America] – 86,000
4. Goodbye Stranger [Breakfast in America] – 47,000
5. Take the Long Way Home [Breakfast in America] – 37,000
6. School [Crime of the Century] – 33,000
7. It’s Raining Again […Famous Last Words…] – 21,000
8. Dreamer [Crime of the Century] – 20,000
9. Bloody Well Right [Crime of the Century] – 14,000
10. Hide in Your Shell [Crime of the Century] – 10,000
11. Crime of the Century [Crime of the Century] – 8,000
12. Fool’s Overture [Even in the Quietest Moments…] – 8,000
13. From Now On [Even in the Quietest Moments…] – 7,000
14. Rudy [Crime of the Century] – 7,000
15. Child of Vision [Breakfast in America] – 6,000
16. Even in the Quietest Moments [Even in the Quietest Moments…] – 6,000
17. Lord Is It Mine [Breakfast in America] – 6,000
18. Oh Darling [Breakfast in America] – 5,000
19. Don’t Leave Me Now […Famous Last Words…] – 5,000
20. My Kind of Lady […Famous Last Words…] – 5,000