CSPC: Elton John Popularity Analysis
Records & Achievements
- At an estimated 29,730,000 units sold, Something About the Way You Look Tonight / Candle in the Wind 1997 is the greatest selling physical single of all-time. It holds the record in various countries including the UK, Canada, Australia and Germany.
- Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy was the first album ever to debut at #1 in the US on charts dated June 7, 1975. He reproduced the feat with Rock of the Westies on November 8, 1975.
- From July 14, 1972 to November 8, 1975, Elton John accumulated 7 US #1 albums.
- At 30 years, Elton John has the longest streak of calendar years with at least one Top 40 hit inside the US Hot 100, from 1970 to 1999.
- At 17,025,000 units, Greatest Hits is the highest selling solo compilation ever in the US, although Bob Marley‘s Legend is poised to top it during the next few years.
- 1990’s compilation The Very Best Of is the second highest selling album ever that wasn’t released in the US.
- At 129,340,000 million equivalent album sales from his 70s records, Elton John is the most successful solo artist from this decade, forth overall.
- At 31,350,000 equivalent album sales, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is the second most successful album from 1973.
- At 20,020,000 equivalent album sales, Elton John is among the Top 5 most successful albums from 1970.
- At 18,940,000 equivalent album sales, Your Song is the most successful song from 1970.